News Asia
Tharman Shanmugaratnam Sworn in as Singapore’s 9th President
SINGAPORE – President Tharman Shanmugaratnam stated that he will be “rigorous and impartial” when making decisions involving the “second key” of Singapore’s reserves.
During his inaugural address on Thursday, Tharman, 66, stated that he will “carefully weigh the matter” if Singapore needs to use its reserves to address crises and existential threats.
“We will need to strike a balance between meeting immediate needs and preserving the reserves so that every generation, present and future, can enjoy their benefits,” Tharman told Asia One.
In addition to being prudent regarding the protection of national reserves, the newly-elected president stated that he intends to foster greater interactions between Singapore’s diverse communities while preserving the vibrancy of diverse cultures.
“This may be accomplished by encouraging our youth to participate in sports that are presently dominated by a specific ethnic group, by learning each other’s art forms, or by fostering collaborations between our self-help groups, various community organisations, and business chambers.
“As our interactions and life experiences increase, so will our appreciation and reverence for one another. Tharman stated, “We strengthen our shared Singaporean identity, which has been and must continue to be our most valuable asset.”
As president, Tharman also promised to “actively support” Singapore’s arts and athletics.
As an adolescent, Tharman represented his school in hockey and participated in a variety of other athletic activities.
At the age of 17, he was diagnosed with a severe case of anaemia that also affected his heart, which abruptly put an end to his athletic endeavours.
In his inaugural address, he noted that Singapore has made “significant strides” in both areas over the years, citing how the local arts scene has become more vibrant and how a number of local athletes have “excelled internationally, under tremendous pressure.”
“In both disciplines, however, our best years lie ahead. “By fostering every artistic and athletic talent and supporting them throughout their journeys, they will inspire us all,” said Tharman.
In keeping with his presidential campaign slogan ‘Respect for All,’ Tharman stated that he intends to establish a strong culture of kinship and respect by supporting the most vulnerable members of society, including disadvantaged youths, those with mental health issues, carers, and the elderly.
Tharman previously addressed the gravity of mental health issues among Singapore’s youth and those around the globe during a forum organised by The Straits Times.
Instead of “stressing out” their children, he urged parents to enable them to play and have more free time.
“Parents and children must understand that life is a long game… you may not be number one or even fifth in school, but life is a long game.”
At the conclusion of his inaugural address, the newly-elected president vowed to carry out his responsibilities “diligently and faithfully.”
Tharman, who received 70.41 percent of the vote in the Presidential Election, also expressed gratitude to Singaporeans for their “strong support.”
“Regardless of the challenges ahead of us or the inevitable differences among us, let us remember that we share a common destiny,” he said.
“Let’s have faith in what we’ve accomplished so far and commit to working together for a future of optimism and mutual respect.”
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong congratulated Tharman on his “decisive win” at the event.
During his speech, PM Lee stated, “The high percentage of votes you received demonstrated the respect and support voters had for you and for the message of unity expressed in your campaign slogan ‘Respect for All’.”
Beyond Tharman’s resounding victory, Lee stated that the Presidential Election result was “positive” for Singapore for numerous reasons.
This election has demonstrated that race plays a lesser role in voting than it once did.
PM Lee referred to a remark Tharman previously made about race being a “factor in politics everywhere”, but acknowledged that Singaporean voters today “look at many other factors too”.
“It is indeed a positive sign that in a national election, Singaporeans elected a candidate from a minority community as President based on his merits,” said PM Lee.
The prime minister also noted that the recent election demonstrated that voters “understand the roles and responsibilities of the president better than before.”
PM Lee elaborated on his point by stating that the campaign was centred on how the candidates intended to exercise the president’s executive powers and what personal experience and qualities they would contribute to the position, rather than on government policies or political issues.
“Singaporeans realised that they were electing the nation’s president and not the next government. All of this bodes well for the future of our nation.”
Attended the swearing-in ceremony at the Istana were Prime Minister Lee, Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, former President Dr Tony Tan, Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, and a number of Cabinet Ministers.
Over 200 attendees, including prominent government officials and members of Congress, were also invited to attend the ceremony. Thomas Chua, President of the Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Association, and Royston Tan, assentor for Tharman, were also in attendance.
Before delivering his speech, Tharman signed his Affirmation of Office in the presence of Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon.
Singapore Readies to Execute First Woman in 20 Years

News Asia
Bangladesh Supreme Court to Rule on Controversial Job Quotas Amid Nationwide protests

(CTN News) – The future of public service hiring regulations, which have provoked national conflicts between police and university students that have resulted in at least 133 fatalities so far, is set to be decided by Bangladesh’s Supreme Court on Sunday, or today.
Later in the day, the nation’s highest court will meet to declare its decision about the controversial job quotas—either in favor of or against their elimination.
This week’s protests over politically motivated admission quotas for highly sought-after government posts turned into some of the worst instability during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s watch.
Due to the ongoing turmoil, a curfew has been in place since Friday. In addition, the government has declared a two-day holiday during which all offices and institutions would be closed.
After riot police were unable to restore order, soldiers are now policing cities throughout Bangladesh, and since Thursday, there has been a statewide internet blackout that has severely limited the flow of information to the outside world.
SEE ALSO: Nearly 1,000 Indian Students Return from Bangladesh Amid Deadly Unrest Over Job Quota System
Hasina made hints to the public this week that the plan will be abandoned, which comes after her opponents accuse her government of using the judiciary to further its own agenda.
However, a positive decision is unlikely to calm the nation’s simmering rage in the wake of the intensifying crackdown and growing dead toll.
Business owner Hasibul Sheikh, 24, told AFP, “It’s not about the rights of the students anymore,” while observing a Saturday street demonstration in the capital city of Dhaka against a statewide curfew.
“Our demand is one point now, and that’s the resignation of the government,” he stated.
A system that reserves more than half of civil service positions for particular groups, like as children of veterans of the 1971 war, is the driving force behind the upheaval this month.
Hasina, 76, has ruled the nation since 2009 and won her fourth consecutive election in January following a ballot in which there was no real competition, according to critics who claim the program helps families who support her.
Rights organizations accuse Hasina’s government of abusing state institutions, including as the extrajudicial assassination of opposition activists, in order to strengthen its grasp on power and quell dissent.
Bangladesh’s 170 million people lack access to sufficient employment possibilities, therefore the quota system is a major cause of anger for recent graduates who are struggling to find work.
“The government’s actions have made the situation worse, rather than trying to address the protesters’ grievances,” Pierre Prakash, Asia director of Crisis Group, told AFP.
After a week of increasing violence, Hasina canceled her intentions to depart the nation on Sunday for a diplomatic trip to Spain and Brazil.
Source: The Indian Express
News Asia
Pakistani Government Plans to Ban PTI

(CTN News) – The Pakistani government has announced measures to outlaw Pakistan Terheek-e-Insaf (PTI), the party of imprisoned former Prime Minister Imran Khan.
Information Minister Attaullah Tarar made the declaration on Monday, only days after the Supreme Court declared the PTI eligible for a share of reserved seats in national and provincial assemblies.
After reviewing all relevant information, the government has decided to ban PTI. “We will file a case to ban the party,” he said, citing claims such as inciting violent protests last year and leaking confidential information.
Tarar stated that the case would be moved to the Supreme Court.
He also stated that the government intended to file treason charges against Khan and two other senior party leaders, former President of Pakistan Arif Alvi and ex-Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly Qasim Suri, as well as a review appeal against the Supreme Court’s ruling that the PTI should be allocated some assembly seats reserved for women and members of religious minorities.
According to Sayed Zulfiqar Bukhari, a top PTI politician and party spokesperson, the government’s action “betrays their complete panic”.
“After realizing that they could no longer threaten, compel, or blackmail judges, they decided to make this move through the cabinet. “All of their attempts to stop us have been declared illegal by the courts,” he stated.
Last week, the Supreme Court recognized the PTI as a political party and confirmed that the party’s lack of an electoral emblem did not affect its legal right to field candidates.
The verdict was in response to the PTI being barred from competing in parliamentary elections in February using its party emblem, the cricket bat, forcing it to field candidates as independents.
Despite the setback, PTI-backed candidates emerged as the largest parliamentary bloc, winning 93 seats.
After Khan declined to cooperate with his political opponents, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PMLN) and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) formed a coalition government with other smaller parties.
Ex-Governor Sindh Zubair, who formerly served in the PMLN, stated that the government’s action was in response to the Supreme Court’s ruling last week and warned of political upheaval ahead.
“The powers that be are trying to disenfranchise the largest majority of voters of the country, who voted for PTI,” he disclosed to Al Jazeera.
Khan was appointed prime minister in August 2018 but was dismissed from power in April 2022 after a parliamentary vote of no-confidence.
The cricketer-turned-politician has since faced a slew of legal issues, including charges of misplacing and leaking the contents of a confidential cable delivered to Islamabad by Pakistan’s then-ambassador in the US in 2022.
Khan has continually disputed the charge, claiming that the dossier contained evidence that his resignation as prime minister was orchestrated by his political opponents and the country’s powerful military, with assistance from the US administration. Both Washington and Pakistan’s army deny the accusation.
Despite multiple recent court verdicts in his favor, Khan has been in prison since August of last year.
Source: Aljazeera
News Asia
NAB Re-Arrests Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi After Iddat Case Conviction Overturned

(CTN News) – Former Prime Minister Imran Khan and his wife, Bushra Bibi, were acquitted in the Iddat case by a sessions court on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the PTI in reserved seats.
However, their relief was short-lived when Imran Khan was detained by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for selling official goods. Bushra Bibi was also rearrested in this case while being released from Adiala Jail’s Gate No. 3.
According to sources, the NAB detained Bushra Bibi after the bureau’s chairman issued arrest warrants for her and Imran Khan. Both are to be investigated in Adiala Jail.
Opposition leader Omar Ayub Khan condemned Bushra Bibi’s imprisonment and criticized the Adiala Jail administration. He also cautioned the jail superintendent of the repercussions and announced that a privilege motion would be filed against him.
Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi were acquitted in the Iddat case after Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Mohammad Afzal Majoka reversed their previous verdict, which sentenced them to seven years in prison on February 3, five days before the general election.
Imran Khan’s lawyers, Usman Gill and Zaheer Abbas, were in court when the verdict was pronounced.
In the 28-page ruling, Judge Majoka rejected Khawar Fareed Maneka, Bushra Bibi’s ex-husband,’s arguments that Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi’s nikah was illegally performed and that Mr. Maneka was denied Buju (reconciliation rights) under religious law.
The court also rejected the allegation of fornication under provision 496-B of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC), stating that no charge was filed under this provision against both Imran Khan and his spouse “because there was no evidence of a second witness”. The trial court heard only one witness, Mr Maneka’s domestic servant.
“In these circumstances, it cannot be said that the appellants committed fornication,” the judge wrote. Regarding the charge of contracting marriage fraudulently during the Iddat period, the judge found that in a video given as evidence during the trial, Mr. Maneka lauded his ex-wife, Bushra Bibi, and “deposed that his ex-wife is a pious lady.”
The magistrate inquired about “how this witness [Mr Maneka] can claim that the appellant No. 2 [Bushra Bibi] committed fraud with him” .
The court announced its decision: “From a perusal of Section 496 PPC and the above-mentioned esteemed citations, this court is of the view that the appellants have not gone through any marriage ceremony fraudulently or with dishonest intention because none of the parties claimed that nikah was not performed and fraudulently he or she was supposed to believe that marriage ceremony was solemnised.”
The court judgment added: “In the instant instance, it is the complainant’s case that the appellants’ nikah was done on January 1, 2018, followed by the second nikah in February 2018. By no stretch of the imagination, it was a marriage with dishonest or deceptive intentions.”
Regarding Mr. Maneka’s claim that he was denied reconciliation rights and so deceived by Imran Khan and Ms. Bibi, the court noted that during cross-examination, Mr. Maneka stated that he learned of the appellants’ marriage on the second day of their nikah.
Before submitting the complaint, the judge questioned why Mr Maneka had been silent on his reconciliation rights for six years.
The judge stated, “The complainant has failed to prove his case against the appellants.” As a result, both appeals filed by appellants No. 1 [Imran Khan] and No. 2 [Bushra Bibi] are accepted, the judgment of the learned trial court of February 3, 2024, is overturned, and both appellants are acquitted of the accusation.”
The court ordered their freedom unless they needed to be imprisoned in other cases.
Source: DAWN
-
News3 years ago
Let’s Know About Ultra High Net Worth Individual
-
Entertainment2 years ago
Mabelle Prior: The Voice of Hope, Resilience, and Diversity Inspiring Generations
-
Health3 years ago
How Much Ivermectin Should You Take?
-
Tech2 years ago
Top Forex Brokers of 2023: Reviews and Analysis for Successful Trading
-
Lifestyles3 years ago
Aries Soulmate Signs
-
Movies2 years ago
What Should I Do If Disney Plus Keeps Logging Me Out of TV?
-
Health3 years ago
Can I Buy Ivermectin Without A Prescription in the USA?
-
Learning2 years ago
Virtual Numbers: What Are They For?